A four wheeled closed carriage, these vehicles were introduced by Lord Brougham in 1839 and became popular with professionals and businessmen who required a less expensive form of transport than other carriages in use at the time, and also liked the extra comfort and visibility in comparison to an ordinary cab. It was driven by a coachman sat at the front, with one or two horses. Two and four seat versions were available and it was often supplied with two sets of wheels, one with iron tyres for tarmacadam roads, and rubber tyres for wooden paved city streets. A luggage basket could be fitted on the roof and the interiors were often fitted with clocks, mirrors, and a speaking tube to communicate with the coachman. This type of closed carriage was one of the most commonly seen on Britain's roads towards the end of the 19th century.
The example in the Streetlife collection dates to 1880 and was made by Barker & Co., with the arms painted on the door meaning 'Loyal Yet Free'. It was used on the streets of Hull until 1930.