s History of Hull Museums (part 1) - Hull Museums Collections

History of Hull Museums (part 1)

municipal museum (image/jpeg)

In 1900 responsibility for the collections acquired and developed by the Literary and Philosophical Society was handed to Hull Corporation. Thomas Sheppard was appointed Curator in January 1901, and the first thing he did was to close the museum for 18 months. When the Municipal Museum in Albion Street (always referred to as the Albion Street Museum) was re-opened in June 1902 visitors found that it had been refurbished, the collections had been re-displayed and the admission charges had been abolished.#IMAGE# The Art Gallery effectively became a separate entity with the appointment of a Curator in 1904. In 1905 T.R. Ferens gave some money for the purchase of art works and in 1917 donated funds for a new building on the site of the former St John's Church. Ferens also provided a substantial endowment for the purchase of works of art and the existing collections have mainly been funded from this provision. #SUBHEADING#Sheppard the collector#SUBHEADINGEND# Sheppard quickly developed a reputation as a ruthless collector, developing an ability to acquire objects of interest for Hull far quicker than other collectors could. He put much more time and effort in collecting objects than he did towards their cataloguing, display and interpretation. Sheppard collected enough to open and fill 8 museums in Hull over his 40 year career. #IMAGE##SUBHEADING#Wilberforce House Museum (opened in 1906)#SUBHEADINGEND# Wilberforce House was at one time in danger of being removed to America, but was purchased by the Corporation and transformed into an historical museum and memorial to William Wilberforce. Opened in 1906 it is in many ways one of Sheppard's greatest achievements. He collected material relating to Wilberforce and slavery, and developed a series of period rooms in the house with the help of local benefactors. #SUBHEADING#Natural History Museum (1910)#SUBHEADINGEND# The Natural History Museum opened to the public in 1910 in the space where the art gallery had been above the Municipal Museum on Albion Street. The building was destroyed in the bombing in 1941. #SUBHEADING#Museum of Fisheries and Shipping (1912)#SUBHEADINGEND# The Museum of Fisheries and Shipping was opened in 1912. Sheppard had obtained a building in Pickering Park from a local trawler owner who was interested in the whaling equipment displayed in the Municipal Museum. The museum displayed both whaling and fishing material, a reflection of the history of Hull as a major shipping and fishing port. The museum moved to the Town Docks Museum building in 1974 where it remains today as the Maritime museum.

History of Hull Museums (part 2) History of Hull Museums (part 2)

The Museum of Commerce and Transport was opened on High Street in 1925 as the first of its kind in Britain. Sheppard was given the Old Corn Exchange building on High Street (now the Hull and East Riding Museum) to set up the museum, and persuaded local firms to carry out the work on the museum for free. It was filled with a transport collection which included carriages, trams, cars and a plane, some of which he begged from other museums.

Objects in the collection

Early Museums in Hull Early Museums in Hull

A history of Early Museums in Hull.

Objects in the collection

History of the Hull & East Riding Museum History of the Hull & East Riding Museum

This narrative tells the story of the Hull and East Riding Museum which is located in what is now known as Hull's Museum Quarter.

Objects in the collection

History of the Ferens Art Gallery (part 1) History of the Ferens Art Gallery (part 1)

At the turn of the twentieth century Hull's art collections were housed in variety of locations. Thomas Robinson Ferens decided that a purpose built art gallery should be constructed and so work began on the Ferens Art gallery in 1926.

Objects in the collection

History of the Ferens Art Gallery (part 2) History of the Ferens Art Gallery (part 2)

The Ferens Art gallery was completed in eighteen months and opened in 1927. Read about the changes and develpments the gallery has been through from its opening to the present day.

Objects in the collection

Thomas Sheppard Thomas Sheppard

Read about Thomas Sheppard, the 'father' of Hull Museums, from his upbringing in North Lincolnshire, his early interest in geology, his appointment as curator of Hull Literary and Philosophical Society's Museum and his part in the development of Hull's museums.

Objects in the collection